Saturday, April 19, 2014

What's your purpose?

I often find myself questioning, "What is my purpose in life?"

Am I supposed to know now?
When will it hit me?
Is it going to feel like a slap in the face, some fireworks through my veins, or just quietly sitting with a cup of tea and it comes to me?

Who really knows.

Now, please, do not think that I am living life in a frantic trying to figure it out, because I am not. I have to admit, though, that it'd be pretty sweet to look in the mail one day to find a letter addressed to me, enclosed with my life's purpose...but the chances of that actually happening are slim to none.

For right now, I feel my purpose is to be a lover. A lover of this world. Of the wildflowers and the grass. A lover of Jesus. Of His undying love and forgiveness. A lover to my friends. Both friends I have had for ages and the ones that I just met. A lover to strangers that are just friends I haven't met yet. A lover to the individuals who hurt and need love. 

It's completely normal for me, and you, to question our purpose. Would we actually be human if we didn't? Sometimes I feel that is what God intended for us. Life is meant to find purpose and every moment we have from the first breath we took to the last moment our eyes see the sunlight is building us up to finding out. It's kind of exciting come to think of it. But, also very scary. It's absolutely normal to feel this way though and that makes it alright.

When thinking of finding my purpose, I often think of my niece. This little angel is going to be 6 months tomorrow (eek) and I often think of what her purpose is going to be. Her purpose is being created right in front of her baby blues and this excites me. I pray for her often. I pray for her heart to be kind like her Mother's and determined like her Father's. Actually, I tend to think of children a lot when I think of purpose.

The other day I was shown a picture of a little girl, this little girl was so beautiful; beautiful doesn't even begin to describe her. Her eyes captured my heart and she had the biggest, brightest smile on her face. I was told this little angel has had health issues since being born and this tugged on my heart.

Her purpose is going to be something so much greater than what she has had to go through. I can feel it in my veins. I feel so blessed to have seen this child, even if it was just through instagram. She has inspired me for my purpose, which is probably what God intended to happen.

Actually, lets be honest, He totally had that planned out.

So, even though I (and we) don't have a concrete purpose yet, this doesn't mean all is lost and we will never find it. For now, I am going to be a fierce lover of this world; of the words that speak to my heart and of the people that come into and out of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment