Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Go out, say yes & enjoy the adventure

Sitting in my ever familiar chair in the apartment and binge watching Friends because that's what brings me happiness when I need a little pick me up. Liz comes through the door and makes a presence for herself, as usual. 

I hadn't heard from her all day, which isn't strange but I had missed her. I didn't know where she had been and her phone was dead, which also, is not strange considering she probably wouldn't have answered if it were fully charged (she doesn't like technology).

I had told her about my day full of packing up, buying dog food, and doing things that were not on the list to do before graduation. Sitting here now, I should have just left all of my belongings here or on the side of the road for others because packing is not an exciting thing to do.

She took my phone and googled "things to do with your best friend". (This is another reason why I love her).

This list was pretty funny & we contemplated a few.
1. Go to the movies but it was 10:45pm so all of the movies were already playing.
2. Host a tea party....no
3. Host a bonfire....on what, our stove? Good joke.
4. Go engagemnt ring shopping.....no thanks
5. Sign one another up on an online dating site.....seriously, it was on the list and more seriously, no.
6. Sneak drinks into the movies....refer back to #1
7. Brush each other's hair....she actually mentioned this one & was serious
8. Create a time capsule......if only
9. Host a pleasure party......hard pass
10. Have a belching contest........hmmm no
11. Make Christmas ornaments.....as we sweat in the heat of our apartment
12. Go on a spontaneous roadtrip........YES.

There are so many words to describe Liz but spontaneous will always be my first. She is adventure and there are 0 limits to holding her back from anything. Which for follow the rules me, is a push in the right direction. She looked at me and said, "Let's call Amy, pick her up, and drive to West Virginia tonight."

May I remind you that it was approximately 10:58pm when she said this. My instinct answer was no but deep down I was all "yes". Why do I let my words speak before my heart? It was as if I had to say "no" because that is what has been expected of me. I have always been a "no". I felt that I had to be consistent within myself. Life is not about proving you can be consistent. So today, I pledge to stop. Also, Liz is the type of friend that encourages me to step outside of my comfort zone; she doesn't make me feel like a "no" kind of girl.

Anyways, we decided to hit the road. No particular place in mind but God knew it was something we both needed. We went to Amy's, where she was already asleep, and tried to drag her out of her room. Amy is the heaviest sleeper I have ever met. We put an ice cub down her shirt, gave her a wet willy, sang to her while playing the ukulele and physically poked her to death. Nothing. The only thing that happened was she curled up in her blanket and stayed asleep. We made an executive decision to let her sleep and go ahead on our adventure because it was now 11:22pm.

We started driving and it was perfect. Driving is such a relaxing thing to do when you just need to stop thinking of everything: graduation, heartbreak, leaving, growing up, life. We blarred Disney songs and just let the music take over the whole car. The night was quiet but it spoke loudly in my heart. I felt free, invincible, and in another world.

I love stars. I loved looking up from the passenger seat and seeing the dark siloutte infront of me full of stars. It was beautiful. About an hour had passed and we found ourselves in West Virginia. Pictures were needed.




Now that we were here, we didn't know where to go next. We tried to find something that was open, considering it was now 12:45am. We drove past this little building, on the bottom of a mountain that said "Kristis". We saw a billboard that had a number, it had a picture of a girl & boy on it so I wasn't convinced it was food. Liz wanted to call so we did. I watched her talk to the person on the other line and get all excited, which also is not strange. She hung up and just smiled at me. That smile that says "you may not like this but we're doing it anyways". She said it was a gambling hang out and I looked at her and said "we are going to die tonight". She didn't seem to mind because she turned around and drove to Kristi's. We pulled up and there was 2 cars outside and no windows to see into the place. I was sketched out. We went up to the door and this kind woman came out and invited us in.

This place was bougie. Decorated to the nines and had candy by the slot machines. She offered us some drinks so I went wild and got a bottled water and Liz had some soda pop (which is what they all referred to it as). We sat down at the slot machine, which looked foreign to me, and put a $5 in. We had 0 clue what we were doing so the lady came over and showed us all of the games and even gave us some tips to playing. In the end, we didn't win any money but we did win a great story.

This is what life is supposed to be like. Looking at your best friend and driving to a different state at 11:20pm in the evening. God provides so much. He is so good and He loves us all so much.

I know this is not the craziest thing we could have done but it was spontaneous and to me, that's a fine place to start. Having Liz next to me made the memories all more beautiful. God has blessed me with this friendship. I always say that my husband is going to have a lot to live up to because Liz is exactly the type of person that completes me. If I could combine her and Amy together and make them a man, well, hello love of my life.

Going out and doing things with zero direction is what life is meant for. God doesn't put limits on ourselves so we need to stop putting those limits up by ourselves.

Go out, say yes, and enjoy the adventure. You'll be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment