Tuesday, April 21, 2015

We can learn a lot. I know I did.

You can learn a lot from an 18 month old. I know I did.

My sister, brother-in-law, and my niece came to visit my parents and me in Texas a week ago. It was such a sweet visit because I have not seen any of them since last July. The last time I saw Makenzie (my niece) she was not walking, not speaking, and was still a "baby" in my eyes. 18 months old does not qualify to be an adult by any means but this visit she looked and functioned like a little human. Walking, talking, singing, the whole sha-bang.

Before they had arrived I told myself to stay calm when I first saw them so I would not freak Makenzie out. I wanted Makenzie to know I was safe to approach and that I was not this strange lady who grabbed her and just started kissing without control (which is exactly what I wanted to do). After getting home from class and walking into the house, I was in awe seeing the tiny, precious, perfect human in front of me. She was more beautiful than I remembered and she looked at me with curiosity but hesitation. I stayed calm (pats on the back for me) and let her approach me when she was ready. She extended her hand to touch me and it is a true statement to say that children are God's way of showing us an aurora of innocence and kindness.

I am by no means ready, at this point in my life, to have children of my own but Makenzie showed me that I am 100% meant to be a mother. I do not have many skills to show for myself but I got lucky that God let me have the skills of being a caretaker. I thought I did not have a clue what a child would need when they cry or what is good for them but it came so naturally when I was with Makenzie. Everyone says it is always different when you have your own kids and you love them more than anything so I am excited for that day because in this moment, I felt more connected to Makenzie than anything else in this world. I can only imagine how beautiful it will be when I have my own children.

Makenzie taught me to be gentle to the world. Her little fingers explored every inch of the northern part of Texas that week and it taught me that there is so much more to explore. She brings me back to reality but also teaches me to keep my heart in the clouds and dream.

I do not think we give children the credit they deserve. Yes, they are little germ worms that lick tables and smear mac and cheese in their hair but they are also the rawest form of a human to exist. They saw what they feel and don't apologize for it. They are really present and they absorb everything they can.

We can learn a lot from them. I know I did.

4 comments: